U of T Engineering requires all applicants to complete an Online Student Profile via the Engineering Applicant Portal as part of the admissions process. Applications will not be reviewed until Online Student Profiles are submitted. Non-Ontario (105) applicants must complete their Online Student Profile and submit all required documents by February 1 in order to receive equal admission consideration.
The Online Student Profile includes the following sections:
- Engineering Program Selection – Rank the engineering programs that you would like to be considered for.
- Educational Timeline – Outline your full time educational activity from the start of secondary school (Grade 9) to present.
- Academic Profile – Detail your secondary and post secondary course information, including standardized tests.
- Interest in PEY Co-op – You can now indicate your interest in PEY Co-op on the Engineering Applicant Portal. Select “yes” if you plan to participate in PEY co-op during your undergraduate degree. Your answer will not affect your admission decision in any way.
- Extracurricular Involvement – Detail your activities outside of the classroom
- Personal Profile – Answer three randomly-selected questions (one written and two video). Watch the Personal Profile video tutorial for more info and to view sample questions.
How to complete your Online Student Profile
Personal Profile FAQ
Q: What is the Personal Profile?
A: The Personal Profile is a component of the Online Student Profile that takes about 30 minutes to complete online.
It consists of three randomly-selected questions:
Question 1: You will record a two-minute video response after two minutes of preparation
Question 2: You will have 10 minutes to prepare and type a 250-word written response
Question 3: You will record a three-minute video response after three minutes of preparation
Q: How does the Personal Profile affect an admissions decision?
A: The Admissions Committee will use all information available to make a decision; this includes all components of the Online Student Profile and your complete academic record.
Q: How can I prepare for the Personal Profile?
A: No specific preparation is required to answer the questions contained in the Personal Profile.
You will need:
– Laptop or desktop computer with a webcam and microphone
– Browser with Adobe Flash installed
– Stable Internet connection
– Pen and paper for taking notes
– Quiet location
– 30 minutes of uninterrupted time
Q: It is possible to have multiple attempts to complete the profile?
A: No. Once you begin the Personal Profile submission (by clicking “Start Interview”) you must complete your entire Personal Profile at one time. There are no opportunities to redo your profile later. You may complete the practice questions as many times as you like until you feel comfortable. Your official response will not begin until you click “Start Interview.”
Q: How do I access the Personal Profile?
A: Applicants access the Personal Profile via a link in the Online Student Profile; no separate login or password is required.
Q: Will my Personal Profile remain private?
A: Your Personal Profile will only be used in the evaluation of your application for admission. Your responses will not be made public or shared on social media.
Q: I don’t have access to a computer with a video camera — what should I do?
A: We recommend that you first speak to your high school or a local library to determine if they have technology that meet the requirements for the Personal Profile. If this is not successful, please contact the Engineering Admissions Office and we will help you find a solution.
Q: Who will be evaluating the Personal Profiles?
A: The individuals who evaluate the Personal Profiles are members of the University of Toronto community who have been specially selected and trained to ensure that all profiles are fairly evaluated.
Q: I am shy; what if I appear nervous on camera?
A: We understand that some students may be nervous on camera. Please do your best to be yourself — you will be assessed on the content of your answers.
Q: Does it matter where I shoot the Personal Profile?
A: The choice of location is up to you. We recommend that you complete the Personal Profile in a quiet, well-lit location where you are not likely to be interrupted. Please ensure that the background visible in your video is appropriate.
Q: What happens if my Internet fails or the power goes out in the middle of my submission?