English Language Requirements

Who needs to provide proof of English facility?

If your first language is not English, you must present proof of English facility prior to admission unless you have completed four years of full-time study in an English language school system in a country where the dominant language is English.

Visit our English Language Requirements page for detailed information, including acceptable tests/qualifications and minimum scores.

If you are unsure if you qualify for an English Language Requirements exemption, please contact our office as soon as possible. It is important to remember that your application will not be assessed until you have satisfied your English Language Requirement.

How do I submit my test scores to the university?

Visit the English Language Requirements page to determine how to send us proof of English facility for your respective test/qualification; methods of submission will vary depending on the type of proof submitted. Scores not sent as directed may cause delays in the assessment of your application.

Please note, the transmission of electronic test scores may take 2-3 weeks to be processed. Therefore, we recommend that you request to have your results sent to us shortly after submitting your OUAC application and well before the deadline as we cannot assess your application with unofficial scores.

NOTE: It is very important that you register for a test using the same first names(s), surname(s) (last/family name), date of birth, and gender as on your application for admission. We cannot match your results to your application if the information differs and this will delay your assessment.

What if I do not meet the English language requirements?

If your tests scores do not meet the English Language Requirements on your first try, you will not be penalized. If you are sending more than one result, please ensure you have arranged for your scores to be sent by the document deadline to avoid delays in your application assessment.

Should you have any further questions, please contact our office or refer to U of T's English Language Requirements.