Admissions FAQ

Do you have Co-op?

At U of T Engineering you have the option of doing a 12 to 16 month paid work placement through the Professional Experience Year (PEY). In addition, we do offer a four month summer placement called Engineering Summer Internship Program (eSIP).

Back to Top

Is there a common first year?

Yes, we offer a General First Year program (also called TrackOne) where you’ll take a wide range of courses that explore every aspect and direction within engineering. For more information, please see the General First Year program page.

Back to Top

What is the cut-off mark for Engineering?

The minimum required average varies from year to year based upon the number of applicants and the caliber of grades presented. Typically successful candidates to the Faculty have grades ranging (all ranges stated to a maximum of 100%):

High 80′s to Low 90′s Engineering Science
Mid to High 80′s General First Year and Mechanical Engineering
Low to Mid 80′s Chemical, Industrial, Civil, Computer, Electrical, Materials and Mineral

Please note that these are the recommended averages and do not guarantee admissions into the program. The Admissions Committee takes a look at the overall academic history and Student Profile Form of each candidate before making an admissions decision.

Back to Top

Do you count repeated grades?

While we do not discourage applicants from repeating courses, it is the policy of the University of Toronto Engineering Admissions Committee to consider only first attempt marks. The Admissions Committee in general does not consider repeated course marks. However, they will consider any extenuating circumstances that perhaps had a negative effect on academic performance. You will need to provide documentation to explain how the circumstance affected your academic history with a specific timeline. Please note that if the circumstance is medical in nature, official medical documentation must be provided as well.

Back to Top

Do extra-curricular activities really count?

We believe that marks alone do not provide a complete picture of your potential. The Student Profile Form (SPF) gives you the opportunity to tell the Admissions Committee about your abilities, strengths and interests. In particular, we are interested in your activities and achievements that demonstrate leadership, dedication and overall excellence. The SPF is a mandatory part of your application. If you do not submit your complete SPF, your application will not be considered for admission. The SPF will be available on the Engineering Applicant Portal once the Faculty has received your application from the Ontario Universities’ Application Centre (OUAC).

Back to Top

What is the application deadline?

All candidates must apply online through the Ontario Universities’ Application Centre. The deadline to apply for the Engineering program is February 14th for Ontario High school students (101), February 14th for all 105 applicants, February 28th for IFP applicants. For a more comprehensive list of important dates and deadlines, please visit the Important Deadlines section.

Back to Top

I have already applied, when is the deadline to submit all the documents?

The deadline to submit documents for Admissions consideration is as follows:

  • Ontario High School applicants: March 31, 2014
  • All other Canadian High school applicants: March 31, 2014
  • US High school applicants : March 31, 2014
  • All others (International Applicants): March 31, 2014

For more information, please see the Important Deadlines section.

Back to Top

I have applied, where do I send the documentation to?

Engineering Undergraduate Admissions Office

Faculty of Applied Science and Engineering

35 St. George Street, Room 153

Toronto, ON

M5S 1A4

Please note that documents sent to the University of Toronto become the property of the University and will not be returned or forwarded to other institutions.

Applicants from China are asked to have their Gao Kao and if applicable, final Post-Secondary transcript results verified by the CDGDC – China Qualifications Verification service.

Applicants from the United States must send their transcripts electronically by Parchment. If the school does not use Parchment, the official paper transcripts can be sent directly to our office by mail.

Back to Top

How do I send the English Facility Tests?

For students that are sending their TOEFL or IELTS tests, we require them to be sent electronically by the testing service. The TOEFL Institution Code for undergraduate studies at the University of Toronto is 0982-00. The IELTS test will require you to indicate “University of Toronto, Enrollment Services.” We do not accept paper results for the TOEFL or IELTS test.

For all other English Facility tests, the official results must be sent directly by the testing service to our office.

Back to Top

I have already paid the fees through the OUAC. Why do I need to pay the additional Engineering Assessment Fee?

The Engineering Assessment Fee (EAF) is in addition to any fees you have paid through the Ontario Universities Application Center (OUAC). This required fee will be used to cover the costs associated with assessing applications to a professional faculty. The Student Profile Form (SPF) form gives the Admissions Committee a preview of your academic record, and gives you the opportunity to present non-academic achievements for consideration. We look forward to reviewing your application. Fee payments are made via the Engineering Applicant Portal.

Back to Top

Where can I check the status of my admissions application?

Candidates can check the status of their application online through the Engineering Applicant Portal website. The Admissions Committee uses this website to communicate with the candidates, outlining documents received and documents that are requested or missing. This site will be active once we have received the application information from the OUAC. Please check this site regularly for updates.

Back to Top

Can I do a second Engineering Degree?

Applicants who have already obtained an undergraduate engineering degree from a recognized university are not permitted to proceed towards a second undergraduate engineering degree from the University of Toronto. Please contact the School of Graduate studies for information on further studies at

Back to Top

Can I get a tour of the Engineering Faculty?

If you are currently in the Toronto area or will be in the near future we recommend that you come visit our campus. To sign up for a guided tour of Engineering, please fill out a tour request form.

Back to Top

More questions
If your question has not been addressed by this FAQ message, send your enquiry to: